Monday, September 17, 2012

How To Clean Crudy Cutting Boards

For anyone wondering, yes, cruddy is a technical word.

This was a perfectly timed discovery from Pinterest. I set aside a cutting board a couple weeks ago. Not quite ready to throw in the towel, but it needed some major cleaning. Then I decided to give this tip a try.

It reads "To remove tough food stains from light wood and plastic cutting boards, slice a lemon in half, squeeze onto the soiled surface, rub and let sit for 20 minutes before rinsing."

Well, I didn't use a lemon, but I did give it a try with a lime. Same thing, right? We happened to buy some for a recipe this weekend and that's why some of the zest is missing. That is also why I have a small cut on my thumb, the zester got me good! After trying this technique to both sides of the cutting board I can confidently say it will not be tossed into the trash (or the recycling, because we do recycle).

Oh and the yellow spots on the cutting board are from the lime, I had not rinsed it yet.

Keep this in mind for future needs!

No comments: