Monday, February 17, 2014

Snowmageddon... in Charlotte

I mentioned the snow last week that came to Charlotte. Now I want to prove to you that Charlotte really does get some snow every once in a while. My days were all running together, but I believe it was Wednesday when we started to get the heavy snowfall. Most of our coworkers didn't even bother driving to work, but Joe and I braved the weather and made it in. Actually the roads were completely fine in the morning, we just knew we'd need to keep an eye on the forecast and upcoming snow so we could leave work early and get home. Here's a shot of the snow starting to fall from Joe's office building.

Here is how we found our house when we arrived home. Beautifully covered with white powder. It's not often we get to see this since usually snow fall here doesn't stick around long enough for us to enjoy it (or witness during daylight hours).

I especially loved the view out our backdoor. The back yard was covered and I got to watch big flakes fall for most of the day Thursday. Gorgeous.

Joe brought his laptop home to continue working, but I begged him to take a break and go outside with me. We got requests from family to run outside and make snow angel and I was happy to oblige. We got bundled up and headed out. I knew Joe couldn't resist... as soon as we got outside he started making (and throwing) snow balls. Unfortunately I was the only "fun" target to throw at. Lucky me.

The snow ball fight quickly turned into Joe tackling me into the snow (which by this time was probably 5 inches deep). Don't worry, the baby was not hurt in any way. While on the ground I figured it would be the perfect time to make that snow angel I planned on. I'm trying really hard to open my eyes in the picture below, but it was snowing so hard I could hardly see.

Here we shall show off our beautiful snow angels. They're pretty hard to see, but believe me, they're there!


We even thought the baby should have his or her own snow angel.

After making baby's snow angel I looked up to see Joe starting to roll a ball of snow. He said it was time to make a snow man! For someone who wasn't even sure he wanted to come out and play in the snow, he was sure enjoying himself. We rolled together some snow and made, what I think, is one awesome snowman. I even ran inside to grab a carrot for the nose.

Joe posed with the snowman...

And then he pretended to kick the snowman...

Then it was my turn to pose with the snowman...

Then I sized him up to see who had a bigger belly.

Sadly just a couple hours later the sun came out and our snowman's head fell off. He had a good run, but it wasn't meant to last. Then a couple more hours later his torso took a fall. Surprisingly the temps rose to the upper 40's that afternoon so you can't blame the snowman for struggling. He was fun while he lasted.

As an update, here is what Mr. Snowman looked like over the weekend. I'm shocked the carrot was still around and a little rodent didn't find the free food. The weather this past weekend was very nice, but there's still a little bit of snow hanging around. I'm sure it will all be gone this week when we see temps close to 70 degrees. Gosh I love Charlotte!

No comments: