Thursday, June 14, 2012

Taste of Charlotte

This past weekend we checked out Taste of Charlotte in Uptown. It’s basically a street festival for food junkies. You purchase coins and then redeem the coins for food. All kinds of food… BBQ or Mexican to ice cream or smoothies. All kind of vendors too… local mom and pop shops to chain restaurants.

We bought 15 coins for $20 and started strategizing which booths we wanted to hit up first and what items we absolutely had to try.

First we stopped at Salsarita’s Fresh Cantina and had some chicken quesadillas. Knowing how full we’d likely be after trying all this food we just shared the item each time instead of getting our own. After being married for almost 4 years I’d say we can share pretty well.

Next we got a free (yay for free!) sample of BBQ with a local BBQ sauce company. Couldn’t tell you what the brand was… I swear I got a coupon from them though. I guess that disappeared.

At this point we were passing a few beverage booths and my mouth was watering. We discuss that our strategy of tasting all this food didn’t include coins for the drinks. The weather was so nice out that night I was totally craving a beer. But, we held out and actually didn’t get anything to drink.

One of the items that caught my eye was the sea bass cake with chipotle slaw from Caffe Siena. It tasted a lot like a crab cake which is one of my favorite foods. I’ve never heard of the restaurant that we got it from, but I’ve been meaning to look it up. We might need to check it out sometime and see the rest of their menu. We had a seafood place in Des Moines that we loved. We had a routine when going there: we’d share the crab cake appetizer and then share a couple role of sushi… yum!

Joe’s choice of the evening was pizza. There were a couple pizza places and he decided Mellow Mushroom was the winner. We tried the mighty meaty pizza and unfortunately it was cold. What a bummer. Joe had looked forward to trying some pizza all night and was pretty disappointed. We have eaten at Mellow Mushroom before; we actually took Joe’s parents there when they were in town in February. The pizza is very good and the specialty pies are all so unique.

My favorite treat of the evening was the cinnamon roasted pecans. We walked by this booth and the scent was unbearable. Oh man they tasted so good, Joe’s lucky I shared this time. Have you had these before where they’re like candy coated in delicious cinnamon?

To top off our evening we got ice cream from Baskin Robbins. Double scoop with one topping for 3 coins… exactly what we had left. It was very kid friendly… the vanilla was rainbow colored. I didn’t understand the guy at the booth when he told us what kinds they had. All I heard was vanilla and asked for that, but was shocked when he handed me ice cream with every color of the rainbow. Joe gave me a hard time for questioning the guy… all I can say is the ice cream was delicious.

After eating our way through the festival we walked and people watched. There was a NBA area set up with multiple hoops and competitions going on. Here is Joe’s foot compared to Kevin Durant’s from the Oklahoma City Thunder. I couldn’t believe how big these shoes were!!! Timely though with the NBA finals on this week. Who are you rooting for??

Like I mentioned, we went through this whole meal without drinking anything. I’m the kind of person that drinks in between bites, unlike some people who save their drink until after the meal. Since it was still pretty early I suggested we stop for a margarita at this Mexican restaurant near our house that we pass on the way to and from work. I had to order a water because I was so thirsty I started drinking the margarita quickly… not a good idea.

No comments: