Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Mysterious Pumpkin Eater

Once again I've been gone on business travel for a couple days. Now we're getting packed for a long weekend trip. But I can't complain, I love it all!

Joe and I have never gotten too excited about Halloween. Since we've been married (and really even in college for both of us) we never dressed up in costumes or attended costume parties. Carving pumpkins has been one tradition we've tried to keep.

Here are our pumpkins in 2008. This was back in our North Liberty apartment shortly after getting married. Ohhh scary!

Here in 2009... our Des Moines apartment. Joe got excited with a chance for the Iowa football team to make the Rose Bowl. Needless to say, they didn't. And yes, my tiger hawk was carved free hand.

I guess we haven't carved pumpkins since 2009. So much for that tradition! We did decide to buy a few pumpkins a couple weeks ago when we picked up our groceries. We set them outside the house and planned on carving at least one of them at a later date.

We were driving home one day last week when I told Joe maybe I didn't want to carve either of the pumpkins (I was really the one that kept pushing for it) because I liked they way the two of them looked on our door step next to the columns. Plus if we didn't carve them we could keep them for Thanksgiving as some decorations for our visitors.

I kid you not... not more than 2 minutes later we walked up to the door and I noticed there were bites taken from the pumpkins! I have never seen this before from all the years or setting pumpkins outside (I'm including my childhood in this). 

Let's call this pumpkin #1.

Here is pumpkin #2

What kind of animal could do such a thing you ask? Your guess is as good as mine.

But wait, there's more... here is pumpkin #2 one day later.

Oh and once again pumpkin #2 one more day later. 

Whatever was eating the pumpkins was having a midnight snack or something! Now we're just waiting until we get some pumpkin guts all over our porch. I find this somewhat amusing so I'm not about to bring the pumpkins inside to avoid this possible mess. We figure whatever is eating the pumpkins will probably want to eat the guts too once they get a hole in it.

I'll keep you updated!

No comments: