Thursday, April 12, 2012

Ham and Bean Soup

Before my trip to NYC a couple weeks ago I picked up a Family Circle magazine for the flight. Since I was traveling by myself I wanted to make sure to have plenty to read and keep me busy. I ended up reading through the whole magazine on the flight and gave it to my mom to read. Before I handed it over, though, I ripped out one page with this recipe on it. It’s common to have lots of Easter ham leftovers and what better way to use up the ham.

Bean and Ham Soup
Ingredients
1 pound dry pinto beans
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes
2 cups ham, diced
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper

Directions
Place beans in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover and turn off heat. Allow to soak overnight. The next day coat the slow cooker with cooking spray. Drain beans and add to slow cooker bowl. Add 4 cups water, onion, carrots, garlic, tomatoes, seasoning and ham. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours. Season with salt and pepper, mash beans slight to thicken soup. Serve with crusty bread.

No comments: