Thursday, April 5, 2012

Say Yes To The Dress

Prepare yourself for a long blog post!

I clued you in on Friday what my weekend adventure looked like. I also showed you yesterday the neat gift I bought Amy. Now let me explain how much fun I had this past weekend. I worked a half day and flew into Hartford, CT on Friday afternoon. The flight was quick and easy. It was so worth it to spend a little more for the direct flight. Made me feel like I was still close to home and not hundreds of miles away.

My mom and Scott picked me up from the airport with a little fur baby in tow. I enjoyed meeting and playing with my brother’s 4 pound dog, Kirby. Is that about what he weighs? It's hard to tell, but it's so easy to scoop him up with one hand. Unfortunately he was still wearing his cone. Although it was hilarious to watch him play and run with it on.

Once Amy got off work we headed out for dinner. It was so great to see family and catch up in person. We talked a lot about the wedding (that’s really the reason I was in Connecticut). These pictures turned out badly, but I still wanted to share them.

Saturday morning we met up with Amy’s mom and best friend. The whole weekend was intended to look for Amy’s wedding dress. Not only did we do that, we headed to NYC to look. The train was an easy way to get to the city and gave us more time to catch up. The plan was to meet up with Amy’s sister once we got to the city since she lives there.

The last stop was Grand Central Station. Such a huge hub with a great mix of people. You have the commuters, the city dwellers, the tourists, the foreign tourists. I’m not quite sure which bucket we fit in. I felt like less of a tourist because Amy and her sister know the city so well.

I tried to get a good picture of mom and I here, but they kept turning out blurry. I decided to try my hand at self photographer. The picture turned out goofy, but I still like it.

Like I’ve mentioned too many times already, we were in NYC to find a wedding dress for Amy. Did you miss that part, because that’s why I made the trip! The store Amy had her appointment at was Kleinfelds. If you’ve ever watched the TLC show Say Yes to the Dress then you know the place! Amy looked beautiful in everything she tried on, but she found the perfect dress and said yes!!

They were taping an episode of the show while we were there too. It made me feel like I had to constantly sit up straight and make sure not to pick my nose. These camera guys moved fast and could catch you from any angle! We actually sat just behind the bride and her group of friends. I’m positive we’ll be in the background of at least a few shots. I thought I was being super stealthy by taking this picture over my shoulder. We were told no pictures were allow until Amy picked out her dress. I later gave up and just started snapping pictures.

We listened as one of the dress consultants asked the bride a bunch of questions setting up the episode. The bride wanted a red dress… we all agreed that must be why she’s on the show. Something different that people will watch! The cameras followed the dress consultant walk around and pick up dresses for her to try on (I know she’s looking at white or ivory dresses, but we heard her say that they would later dye the dress red).

The camera guys also followed the brides friends (or sisters, we have no idea) while they gave their opinion on other dresses.

The plan was to get a group shot outside the store, but the building was under some sort of renovation and they had scaffolding all over the front. We resorted to taking a group shot in the lobby. It turned out pretty well, although I stick out like a giant.

After dress shopping we stopped at Crumbs. It’s a really cute bakery that serves huge, muffin sized, cupcakes. Not only were they ginormous (yes, that is a word), they came in just about every flavor and color. Mom and I bought a taster pack. This way we could taste a little bit of all of them. Well not all of them, they probably had 50 different flavors and our pack included 12. I even had leftovers that I brought home to share. You are so welcome Joe!

We went back to the hotel to freshen up before heading out again for dinner. It was such a stress free weekend considering we were a group of six girls. Amy, her family and friend were so easy to get a long with and enjoy the weekend. I actually felt like I had known them previously and that I hadn’t just met them!

After dinner I requested we make a detour to Times Square. We weren’t far and how often am I really in NYC? We literally walked there, snapped a few pictures, watched some quite interesting people (Sponge Bob and Elmo were there!) then walked back to the hotel. It was one of those been there, seen that type of things. No need to stick around!

Update: it was a sad day yesterday when Joe and I polished off the cupcakes. They were amazing and I'm ready for more. Luckily Crumbs ships nationwide!

If you can't tell from this post, I had a great weekend! Thank you to everyone for such a great time!

No comments: