Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Large Granny Square Blanket

I shared my very first crochet project a while back. Even though this post is long over due, I still wanted to share with you my second crochet project. I guess when I start a project I go big. No messing around with small items, I must make huge blankets.

Anyways, I embarked on a project with a deadline. I wanted to make my future sister-in-law a blanket for Christmas. But instead of having Christmas Eve as a deadline, I had Thanksgiving as a strict date. Why you ask? Because we saw my brother and his fiance over Thanksgiving and knew we wouldn't see each other over Christmas. Plus it would be so much easier (and cheaper) to hand them the presents rather than mail then later. Can you believe Joe and I had all their presents bought and wrapped before Thanksgiving? No procrastinating in this house!

When I took crochet class (way back when we lived in Des Moines!) I bought a Vanna White pattern book. Crazy, I know, but I love it! The book it all about blankets and her yarn (Vanna's Choice) is the best. The colors are great and they blend together so easily. Anyways, I made one of the blankets from this book. It's basically a huge granny square using two colors of yarn together. It was nice to finish the project once I was out of yarn and not have to go back and stitch together multiple squares like I did with the Iowa blanket. That was just an extra step I didn't have to worry about with this project.

I used linen and taupe which really blend well together without being in your face crazy.
Click to view detail of 860-099Click to view detail of 860-125


All together the blanket took 20 skeins of yarn. It sounds like a lot, but the blanket is really good sized (covering almost this entire bed) and is super heavy. Not too heavy though, just perfect. I really like this patten and will definitely use the method of 2 yarn colors together for future projects. I hope it keeps you warm Amy!

No comments: