Thursday, January 31, 2013

Crochet Pattern: Beard

Oh boy I have been waiting a long time to post this fun pattern. I made this as a Christmas present so I couldn't share it with the world wide web in case that certain someone saw. Well I actually ended up making one of these for Joe and each of his brothers. One skein of yarn (I used Vann'as Choice like always) made about 4 beards.

This was my first attempt at reading a pattern. My experience with crochet has been just blankets and creating the size/style I wanted. This was considered a victory for me to master the pattern. Enough so that now I've made about 5 of these!

Crochet Pattern: Beard
Adapted from Mad Min

Abbreviations
ch: chain
sc: single crochet
sts: stitches

Size J hook

Start: ch 7
Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook and in remaining ch sts. turn (6sc)
Row 2: ch 1, *Bobble stitch in first stitch. sc in second stitch* repeat 2 times, turn (3 bobbles and 3 sc)
Row 3: ch 1, 2 sc in first stitch, sc across next 4 sts, 2 sc in last stitch, turn (8 sc)
Row 4: ch 1, *Bobble in first stitch, sc in second stitch* repeat 3 times, turn (4 Bobbles, 4 sc)
Row 5: ch 1, 2 sc in first stitch, sc across next 6 sts, 2 sc in last stitch (10 sc)
Row 6: ch 1, *Bobble stitch in first stitch. sc in second stitch* repeat 4 times, turn (5 bobbles and 5 sc)
Row 7: ch 1, sc across, turn (10 sc)
Row 8: ch 1,*Bobble in first stitch, sc in second stitch* repeat 3 times, turn (5 Bobbles, 5 sc)
Rows 9-22: repeat rows 7 & 8
Row 23: ch 1, decrease sc in first 2 stitches, sc across 6 sts, decrease sc last two sts, turn (8 sc)
Row 24: ch 1, *Bobble stitch in first stitch. sc in second stitch* repeat 3 times, turn (4 bobbles, 4 sc)
Row 25: ch 1, decrease sc in first 2 stitches, sc across 4 sts, decrease sc last two sts, turn (6 sc)
Row 26: ch 1, *Bobble stitch in first stitch. sc in second stitch* repeat 2 times, turn (3 bobbles, 3 sc)
Row 27: ch 1, sc across, turn (6sc)

Earloops:
Chain 20 (if you can measure on someone, even better). slip stitch to last stitch on Row 27 creating a loop for ear. Fasten off. Attach yarn to first stitch on Row 1. Chain 20 (or whatever you did on other side), slip stitch to last stitch of Row 1. Fasten off

Mustache:
Connect yarn to first Bobble stitch on Row 6 with a sc, begin crocheting a chain that will reach over to the opposite side snugly. ( I crocheted 10). Sc into first Bobble on Row 20 and then turn. ch 1, dc into first sc, dc into 3 chain sts, sc in next two ch sts, dc over last 3 chain stitches, dc into last sc, slip stitch next to last sc into beard. (10 dc, 2 sc) Fasten off and weave in ends.

Don't know what a bobble stitch is? Don't worry, I didn't either when I started this project. Just YouTube it and find a tutorial video on how to make that stitch. That's exactly what I did and it worked perfect. Surprisingly there is a ton of crochet tutorials on YouTube. Just search for them!

Remember these guys?

I also made a white beard and paired it with a Santa hat for a work Christmas party gift. I wish I had a picture of the person who won the gift, it was a huge hit. I hope to make more of those for next year. Thanks to my grandma I have a bunch of left over yarn and a good amount of white.

No comments: