Monday, August 27, 2012

Musical Mantle Mirrors

This is what our living room looked like when the previous owners lived in it. A lot of times I have looked back to how they positioned their furniture or what they had where. It helps when trying to furnish an entire house for the first time.

We liked the circular mirror above the fireplace so much we went to Target and bought one shortly after moving in. It was actually my birthday present from Joe back in May. I slowly added a few odds and ends on the mantle to add height and depth. Keep in mind nothing on the mantle is ever permanent and yea, I have pheasant feathers on my mantle. As the seasons change and holidays come along I'll definitely change it up a bit.

During another phase of auctions after the hotel's renovation, I bought this mirror from the hotel for only $11. I didn't have a clear idea of where to put it so naturally it sat in the living room for a week or two before I decided to try it above the fireplace in place of the other mirror. We made the switcheroo and sat back to examine. The more I sat and moved around the living room/kitchen, the more I didn't care for it. With the larger mirror I saw myself or movement in the mirror way too often. It got distracting.

Ultimately we ended up putting the circular mirror back up. I think we'll stick to that for the time being. Now my challenge is to find a spot for Mr. Rectangular Mirror. No worries, remember, it only cost me $11!

While we're talking about the living room, I should show you our new TV stand. We researched one of these for a while too. Measuring the corner, comfortable height of the TV so that watching won't strain your neck, etc. Finally we decided on this one from Target and I love it. It's sturdy and solid for the heavy TV. Joe might like it now, but he'll tell you that putting it together was no easy task. It literally came in probably a thousand pieces.

No comments: