Wednesday, August 29, 2012

No-Sew Curtains

Sometimes I wish I had a sewing machine. Sometimes I think, if I bought one, I'd use it. Sometimes I also think if I bought one it might sit in the corner untouched. Baby steps, Sara, baby steps. Joe and I got crafty (san sewing machine) and decided to make no-sew curtains for the bonus room. Ahem, I mean our Hawk Cave.

We bought simple black fabric from Wal-Mart and also picked up one roll of stitch witchery.

First step was to iron out the fabric completely.It had been folded and sitting around creating creases for a while so this was a no-skip step. Oh and see the don't-know-what-to-do-with-it-but-it-only-cost-us-$11 mirror leaning against the wall? He's still a work in progress.

Look there's Joe ironing... I'm the picture taker, he irons.

Then we rolled out the stitch-witchery and cut it to the width of our fabric.Oh and please don't be critical of the fabric that appears to be cut at an angle. I blame the lady at Wal-Mart. We adjusted to make sure the hem would be straight across and pretty.

The directions said to place damp cloths over the hem and hold the iron on for 10 seconds. After we did this for the whole length we checked to make sure it was securely holding the fabric. In some cases we ironed a little more to be sure.

We bought curtain rings with clips on them at Target that matched the curtain rod already in the room. This makes it easy to adjust and move the curtains if need be. Also, these are considered pull-away curtains. It's a safety measure in case a small human being grabs the curtains, the rod won't fall off, the curtains will just pull away.

We made 4 panels to cover the wall of windows.

 Here's the corner angle.

And just for fun, here's another view of the room.

These were so easy, I bet my mom is proud of me.

No comments: