Monday, January 23, 2012

Cajun Queen

We decided to take a trip to New Orleans just to try some authentic Cajun cuisine. Just kidding, but we did dine at Cajun Queen here in Charlotte though. They serve authentic 'Nawlins food including shrimp and grits, etouffee and crawfish.

We actually heard about this place from a friend back home. Danny visits Charlotte for work often and every time he makes sure to eat here at least once. When we told him we were moving to Charlotte he recommended this restaurant (and certain entrees) right away. He told us to look for the building with the big green crocodile out front. Sure enough, there it was.

One of the highlights from the restaurant is the building. It looks like a big house on the outside (and probably was one at sometime). The entry way looks like a house, but with a host stand. The living rooms has a fire place, but it also has lots of tables for eating. We sat in the back which seemed to be a sun porch. Recently I've noticed the whole "house converted to retail" is common in Charlotte. We went to a Starbucks this past weekend that was the same thing. I thought it was so cool!

For dinner I tried the Diane with crawfish. We had a 7th grade science project with crawfish, but I've never ate them before. These are part of the Southern "need to try" food.They were very similar to shrimp and taste delicious in this dish with garlic butter, mushrooms and Cajun Queen's spices. Joe ordered the etouffee which was similar to mine, just made with a dark roux. I was intrigued by etoufee when I read about it the other day. I had to look it up and find out exactly what it consisted of. I was glad Joe ordered it so I could try some. He got crawfish with his dish just like I did.

There's another Cajun restaurant in the area we want to try. Next time I want to give the shrimp and grits a taste. Has anyone tried that before and would recommend it? How about any other Cajun dishes?

No comments: