Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins

Like I said yesterday, fall is pumpkin time. Pumpkin flavored and scented everything. I love it! Not only have I decorated with pumpkins (and failed miserably) I also love baking with pumpkin. I got this recipe online and tried it out line by line. I was less than impressed, but I didn't give up. The original recipe called for 2 whole cups of flour. I thought even before putting them in the oven that it was way too much flour. Good thing it calls for only have the can of pumpkin. A week later I tried it again and cut the amount of flour in half. I knew that was a bit aggressive, but it could only get better compared to the original batch. Well, it worked, these muffins are so much better!

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins
adapted from here

Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup milk
1/2 can pumpkin
2 eggs

Directions
In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice. In a separate bowl mix together sugar, oil, milk, pumpkin and eggs. Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Scoop into muffin tin (makes 12 muffins). Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

I should say I didn't make these muffins alone. Joe was my trusty assistant in the kitchen. He was a huge help not only making the muffins, but tasting and approving them too.

No comments: