Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Day Off With Mom And Dad

Joe and I were both able to take last Wednesday off to enjoy one last day with my parents. Our plan for the day was to ride every inch of the cable car lines (there are four different lines), eat good food (of course you can't roam the city without finding this) and shop at Union Square for something to wear to Joe's graduation.

We started our day at a bakery my parents have enjoyed during their time in the city. While Joe and I worked on Monday and Tuesday my parents were on their own and found this great place to eat breakfast leisurely. The bakery had great pastries and coffee and was a great spot to sit by the window and people watch. San Francisco has some of the best people watching! We made my parents take a picture in front of their bakery when we left for memories.

We hopped on the cable car to Fisherman's Wharf. Although we didn't use the cable cars nearly as much as we planned, we still had fun even though we froze. They don't go very fast, but they go fast enough to turn a chill in the air to freezing your fingers.

I stood on the outside step just to get a picture. It was a bit scary when cars, buses or other cable cars went by. We were headed down Hyde Street towards Fisherman's Wharf and I snapped the picture down the hill. I quickly put the phone back in my pocket to hold on. It felt similar to a roller coaster and let's just say, I do not like roller coasters!

Ghirardelli Square was calling our name and even though it was still morning we needed some chocolate. Surprisingly no one bought any chocolate at the store!

It was a perfect day for some clam chowder thanks to the slight chill. What better place than Fisherman's Wharf to get some, huh? We sat on a bench and ate our chowder while people walked by and stared at our food while licking their lips.

We did some shopping around Fisherman's Wharf. Mom had spotted some scarves so we both bought a couple and put them on to wear the rest of the day. You can see our scarves in these pictures taken at the very end of Pier 39. Yes, that's Alcatraz in the background. And yes, it was very bright out.

We jumped back on the cable cars and rode to the top of Nob Hill. Well, I guess we jumped off the cable car a block away from the top and hiked up. We had some fun with pictures and the incline of the streets. These pictures don't do it justice though!

We wanted to take my parents to the Top of the Mark just like we did with Tina. We had a drink and enjoyed the views of the city. Mom had a pisco martini. Have you ever had pisco? It's not very popular here in the states, but it's from Chile and is very popular there. The most common way to drink it is with Coke... they call is piscola.

It was fun to point out buildings or locations to my parents. These pictures are really nothing new to this blog, but I still love taking them and posting them anyways.

After shopping successfully in Union Square we ended our long day with a nice meal at Rocco's Cafe. Remember when Joe and I went to this Triple D location a while back? This go-around I tried the chicken piccata and it was delicious. Unfortunately I left my box of leftover at the table... isn't that just the pits. Oh well, not the first time I've done that!

We had such a great time with my parents. Of course it was hard to see them leave, but we all agreed it was much easier knowing we'd see them again in less than two weeks.

No comments: