Monday, September 26, 2011

Temple Square

Historic Temple Square is very close to the Salt Lake City hotel I stayed at towards the end of my trip. It's the biggest tourist attraction in the state of Utah. This was probably the one thing I was most excited to check out during my whole trip. Joe and I enjoy history and this was right up our alley. I wish Joe was there to experience it with me!

I walked around and took lots of pictures. I'll do my best to explain each of them.

First of all this is the view from the hotel's 14th floor. Don't mind the ropes, they were painting the outside of the hotel. You can see the very top of the temple between the buildings.

One initial observance (and ok, I did read a little about this beforehand so maybe I was looking for it) was all of the flowers. I was amazed by the colors so I took some pictures.

One of the buildings I saw was the official LDS office building. This place was definite evidence of how big the LDS religion has gotten. This place was huge.

The gothic style Assembly Hall. It was historically used for musical/artistic performances and religious meetings. Now it holds free concerts on weekends.
The Salt Lake Temple is iconic to the LDS religion. The pioneers that built the temple saw it as a symbold of the legacy of faith that they sought to leave behind when making their journey to Utah.

The Tabernacle is where the choir practices and performs. It is known for it's amazing acoustics. The Choir actually stayed at the Marriott in Des Moines when I worked there. 

I took a tour of the Beehive House. The two missionaries showed me around the house where the church first housed it's office and where Brigham Young lived after moving to Utah. Some of the items were original items belonging to Brigham, others were just period pieces.

Just another reason why I love Utah!

1 comment:

rebecca said...

Love your picture of the place where Mormon Tabernacle Choir performs. You should have asked for Barry (I can't think of the other guys name). You could have dropped my name since they said I am welcome anytime--LOL:)